Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

"Cycle" controversy

Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Thursday, 18 July 2002, at 3:34 p.m.

I wanted to get this out of all the threads into a clean one to get some opinions.

I use Cycle- I KNOW it works. But I use it for maintenance, not for emergency backup!

When I vacuum (every two weeks) the bottom-gravel, I know I have disturbed the anaerobic-bacterias, so I hit the tank with the "setup" dose of Cycle. It really helps clear the tank fast, but I also have the UF system to pull it into the gravel, where it belons. On the "odd week" I put in the maintenance dose.

If you have gravel with no UF plates, I would forget this idea-only anaerobic bacterias will grow in the gravel! It MIGHT help the bio-wheels or other bio filtration slightly, but aerobic-bacterias will only grow until the surface is saturated, then any excess "Cycle" will be wasted. Personally, I think trying to clear u