Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Spent some money......

Posted By: Martin Thoene <gkadar@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sunday, 21 July 2002, at 9:30 a.m.

.....yesterday replacing two compact flourescent tubes on our 120 gallon Clown tank. The plants were not growing so well and the tubes looked greyish in colour. The tank looks a whole lot brighter now with the new 6700K Coralife tubes installed.

Whilst in Big Al's, I decided to finally purchase a Fluval Surface Skimmer attatchment and hook it up to the Fluval 4 which is one of the two big cannisters that we have running on this tank.

The tank has CO2 injection with surface movement, but the spraybars are positioned under the surface so as not to give too much surface agitation. This is designed not to blow off too much of the CO2. An offset of this is reduced oxygen exchange at the surface and this cost us an SAE once when it seems the oxygen became depleted, plus stressed out the 12 Clowns. We did a quick-fix with an airstone that time and then re-positioned the spraybars to their current configuration which works well.

One thing that I had noticed was this tank always has a grey surface film (visible when looking up from below). I felt that this can't help with gaseous exchange so I had been looking at these skimmer attatchments for a while and finally decided to give one a try.

It hooks up easily, although the instructions are purely diagramatic and after some adjustment I got it working. You can adjust the balance between surface skimming intake and below water intake. Today, the surface looks pristine with the film all removed, so these things work well. They are available packaged as Fluval or an identical one packaged for Aquaclear Filters with just some adapter pieces being the only difference. I think you could easily hook one of either up to the intakes of most filters with some ingenuity.

Martin.

Fluval Surface Skimmer

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.