Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Skinny, or...?

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thursday, 1 August 2002, at 2:11 p.m.

I have two new small clowns that just spent 2 weeks in isolation. Thank heavens for q-tanks. :-)

ICH, as usual, showed up on day 3, and was finally killed off after 10-days. One of the clowns was barely affected, with few spots, while the other got at least twice as many cysts. After the initial 5 day recommended treatment, the first clown with few ICH spots, was fine. Since I needed to go a 2nd round for the other clown, I decided to leave the first in iso, too. All went well, and the ICH is gone. This morning, I when I was scheduled to move the clowns to their new home, I noticed the one that had the most ICH spots seems quite skinny, so I left him in iso.

Now, when I originally got the two clowns, one was always a bit more active and aggressive, as is typical. But the less-gregarious one was always a little smaller and slightly skinnier. This one, number 2 we'll call it, was the same one that was more affected by the ICH. And now that his bout with ICH is over, his dorsal fin seems to have lost a bit of color, and he's skinnier.

Now, I've dealt with ICH before, but I've never seen this. I'm pretty sure he's got skinny disease. I've looked at the skinny/disease links, and it sure looks like it. While he's always eaten, today he looks bad, as far as the skinny thing goes, and isn't eating.

So, what do I use? Maracyn, Maracyn II, or the Aquatronics' Spectogram stuff Greg uses that handles gram positive and negative bacteria?

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.