Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

WATER QUALITY BAROMETER

Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Saturday, 3 August 2002, at 4:57 p.m.

I usually only vacuum my gravel and do a waterchange every two weeks. I have noticed the last few days my Clowns have been slightly greyed out, sluggish, and lazy. I knew the water was not perfect, even though contaminants are at an absolute untestable level.

It's the hot weather- my tank is running about 2-3 degrees warmer than I like, and this magnifies the effects of even minute amounts of contaminants, especially ammonia. (I like 78 degrees)

I just did a 10 minute apx. 35% waterchange- syphon about 22 gallons out into the sink with a 3/4" diameter hose (5 MINS), then syphon 22 gallons of fresh RO water back in (5 MINS) Turn the filters back on, that's it! (It's heaven when you have your tank set so you can SYPHON water both in/out with a large diameter hose!!)

Well, my most