Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

BULLDOZERS

Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Monday, 5 August 2002, at 2:04 p.m.

I have nice silk plants- the kind with the heavy, weighted base. Nice stuff- they DO look real. They set nicely into the gravel, with the HEAVY bottom buried in the gravel.

Every two weeks when I vacuum the gravel I remove them, then reset them when done vacuuming. A hassle? Maybe. But I might as well- my two larger loaches love to dig in the gravel, and their latest thing is they have learned how to dig these plants up!

I have another week until I vacuum, and already three plants are uprooted. They stay vertical, because of the bases, but I still can't belive the way the Clowns are driven to dig.

Anyway, the way mine dig, I was interested to know HOW you people with planted tanks keep plants! My Clowns are not digging for a food-source, just for the fun of digging the plants out. I have no doubt if I had real plants they would be digging them up by the roots and shredding them.

I have a strong suspicion in nature they dig around plants' roots to find insects and watersnails, when they root it looks like they are looking for food.

But they just seem to have fun digging, in general, and I was wondering how you plant-people keep plants? My Clowns are bulldozers- I don't think and plants could stand up to their assaults!

My wife always laughs when we catch them digging the plants up- I swear, they have a guilty look on their face like "OH, no, busted again!" Just wondering- GREG

Messages In This Thread