Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Ficus benjamina plant filter

Posted By: Dr. Momfish <gkadar@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2002, at 6:24 p.m.

We have a Benjamina ?tree? living beside the big tank in the bedroom. I turned it some time ago and in doing so some of the branches ended up actually dipping into the water. Over time one of these branches developed roots into the aquarium. We've now got this 10 - 12 inch 'beard' of roots submerged in the tank. Meanwhile the 'tree' has grown so there are about 8 inches of brown tough roots above the waterline. It looks like hell but I don't worry so much about making sure the pot is watered. I'm sure this 'accessory' root system makes up for any watering deficiency on the part of this gardener. :)

We've also got four 'lucky bamboo' growing in the rivertank. They've been in there for about 9 months now. The leaves are above the waterline and the root systems have really taken over that side of the tank. Initially I was concerned that the plants would rot. But that has not happened. They grow slowly (at least the leaves do, the roots grow like mad) and they provide a partial screen for the ugly powerheads. Lucky Bamboo is a species of Dracena. It's not really bamboo.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.