Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Ph/KH question

Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Sunday, 18 August 2002, at 8:58 p.m.

A day after adding the Pothos, through biogenic decalcification the plant has raised the Ph level of my tank .3 degrees and dropped the KH from 3 degrees to 1 degree. The GH remained stable at about 3 degrees. If I dont get the KH back up, the Ph will take off (up) and I will end up with a mess. This is because the KH will continue dropping off, the Ph will rise, "good" bacterias will have trouble converting ammonia/nitrite to nitrate, so the fish may get sick. The leat I will see is the tank will not be as clean and algae free as it was.

I plan to keep the Ph at 6.8 using acid balance, but the problem is it is very difficult to raise KH without increasing GH and decreasing Ph. This is why people state any amount of growing vegetation must have CO2 injection.

I will keep an eye on the levels and see if they stabilize. I like a Ph at 6.8 because algae-growth is stunted.

I have heard of using bicarbonate (baking-soda) to add KH, but then I will have to push Ph way up. Does anyone know how to keep an acid tank (6.8) while maintaining a decent KH and GH of 3-6 degrees? I realize some think this is picky, but if at all possible, I don't want to lose the nearly maintenance-free chemical balance I had. GREG

Messages In This Thread