Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Kuhlis in filters

Posted By: Bibby <anneacp@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2002, at 7:03 a.m.

I added 2 kuhli loaches to my established 10 gallon with 4 white clouds and 2 guppies. The next day one kuhli was dead. Went back to LFS. My water was OK. I bought 2 more. The next day I found all three in the filter- they must have got in through the outlet holes which was almost at water level.
I got them out with difficulty and worried that I'd killed them doing so. I lowered the water level.
This morning only 2 Kuhlis visible, less active but hiding- and I just found number 3 back in the filter- He would have had to jump 2cm against current into a small hole. I assume that if he'd got in there throught the inlet he'd have died.
How far can these things jump, and should I dismantle the filter again or just let him get out on his own. He looked healthy when I lifted the top sponge layer. Thanks fo