Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Extreme low Ph question -

Posted By: SusanA <susanccr@hotmail.com>
Date: Saturday, 24 August 2002, at 11:05 p.m.

I know that Ph makes a difference while cycling. A tank will cycle quicker at a slightly alkaline Ph than at a slightly acid one. But here's my question.

Is it possible for a tank's Ph to be so far in one direction or the other that it won't cycle at all or cycles so extremely slowly that it seems to not be cycling at all? I read on another board a post where someone was doing a fishless cycle on water that was 5.0 to 5.5 out of the tap. He/she said it had been months since (s)he started (!) and still had no nitrites. The person got no helpful responses and I was wondering for my own information whether the low Ph in her water would keep the bacteria from forming.

Anybody got any information on this? I looked on Google and some other places, but only got information about what I think of as the "normal range" - somewhere between 6.5 and 8 - but surely there are some of you fishkeepers out there who are dealing with water below or above that range and have healthy fish and good bio-beds?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by