Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

UGF Plate Cleaning

Posted By: SusanA <susanccr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 29 August 2002, at 8:40 p.m.

Kelvin, I decided to start a new thread, just to clean it up a little. Here's my method for cleaning under the UGF plate. It's worked for me for a really long time.

About once every couple of months I get out my old-fashioned manual syphon, which creates a better suction than my Python, take only the big clear plastic tube off the end, leaving the plastic collar. I remove the powerhead and lower the riser tube. At the other end of the plate, I clear away a patch of gravel and put the clear tube (the one I just took off the syphon) in the place where I cleared the gravel so the water flows easily and the gravel doesn't fall back. Then I start the suction and put the collar part over the riser tube. Major crud comes out from under the plate into a bucket. Repeat on the other side.

You could use the power head to pull the crud up, but this is cleaner and easier for me. I use the cruddy water in my patio plants.

The key to this is to do it fairly often - three months is about as long as I like to go. If you let it go too long, the crud packs down. It doesn't take a lot of time, although it does stir up some stuff when you move the gravel. Best to do it right after you do a regular gravel vac.

After doing this for five years, I had to tear a tank down because of a leak. There was very minimal stuff under the plate. And this tank used an air-driven UGF, which allows more crud to accumulate than a powerhead does. The higher-flow the powerhead, the less often you have to do this. I bet Greg doesn't have much under his plates at all, since he keeps a pretty good flow going.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.