Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

MOVING QUESTION

Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Saturday, 31 August 2002, at 2:04 p.m.

We just got a call-seems the offer for the house was accepted. SO we will be moving about an hour away.

I have never moved a large tank, so I am going to lay out my proposed move, and if you have any good advice, let me know. I can handle the logistics, it's the fish I am worried about.

The temp should be an even 80-85, no problem. I plan to have about 40 gals of RO water at the new place, ready to siphon into the tank, this will take about 5 minutes. Following is a time-line:

Zero hours- take down powerfilter, remove the Pothos and place in a 5 gal with water/snap lid, remove rock-structure, silk plants and pack with chemicals.

+15 minutes: Booze up fish with clove-oil and net/put in 10 gallon trash-can with lid and ammonia-sponge. I will "fast" the fish for 24 hours prior to transport. Turn off powerheads, remove and pack. Leave risers in tank.

+30 minutes: Siphon tank down leaving gravel just moist/cover with plastic and duct-tape airtight to stop evaporation.

+60 minutes: Load fish and gear on truck, at the back. Any info RE moving the tank with 110 lbs of gravel would be nice! I have nightmares of lifting the tank and the bottom-seams popping! this is a lot of stress- we will try to "slide" the tank onto a "coaster" w/o lifting, but input as to if the seams will withstand a lift would be nice!

+90 minutes: truck leaves

+140 minutes: truch arrives

+160 minutes: tank inside on stand/place airstone in with the fish.

+175 minutes: RO water 1/2 in tank/set rocks and heads/heater. Gravel "damp" about 3.5 hours at this point

+210 minutes: finish filling tank/heads and powerfilter on to clear the water/balance Ph, GH and KH

+270 minutes: water should be pretty clear/check Ph to match old water/fish in/fish out of tank about four hours at this point

+300 minutes: recheck/adjust Ph/GH/KH

this is pretty conservative- the gravel will have been "damp" about 2.5 hours, I hope the bacterias survive! The fish will have been "in the can' about 4 hours, the last 1-1.5 hours with an airstone. The temp will be no problem. I cannot dunp the fish right in- I belive they will be better off if I cycle the tank with the powerheads/powerfilter for at least an hour. this will allow time to match Ph/GH/KH and for the UF system to suck all the bacterias back into the gravel, and for the water to just about clear up.

The one point I am concerned about is RE lifting the tank with 110 lbs of gravel- if the seams flex, they will split! I will try to get a piano or other dolly to move (slide the tank on/off instead of lifting? but any info RE lifting is appreciated. A good tank, but it came with a warning to NEVER lift with water-load in the tank!! GREG

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.