Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

55 05 75 gallon? (Also on Freshwater forum)

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Friday, 6 September 2002, at 1:11 a.m.

I'm setting up for a new tank. I'm building a wall unit to encase the tank in so I really have to get this right first time out.

I initially thought a 55 gallon would work, buit am starting to rethink a 55 because it's only 13 inches in depth, front to back. I'm wondering if that's too small for:

Clown loaches
Small-species plecos (bristle-nose, Peckoltias)
Corys
Mollies
Platys

Should I opt for a 75 gallon instead? Same dimensions except 18 inches depth, fornt to back. If so, is a 75 gallon standard-sized? In other words, would it be just as easy to find top glass covers, strip lights, UGF plates, and all other accessories, as it would be for a 55?

Or, does anyone know if a reputable manufacturer make anything in between? I would like 4 ft. wide but more than 13 inches depth.

Regarding filters, I'm thinking an AquaClear 500 looks plenty big inside as far as media goes, and at 500 gph, a 75 would circulate about 7 times an hour on high, and a couple of 402 powerheads on a UGF should be good right?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg