Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Plant Pots *PIC*

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Friday, 13 September 2002, at 1:11 p.m.

I've been wanting to put some plants above the substrate in some kind of pot in a tank with a UGF. I originally placed them in a plastic pot made out of some cut-up tupperware, and buried them in the gravel, but I don't like having a potential dead spot in the UGF. Plus, it's a PITA to remove the pots from the gravel bed and clean the area every so often.

I recently saw some pots made of lava rock in a catalog. I was tempted, but the only problem was that the rock was lava, and I already have two corys with no barbels left due to some lava rocks I previously had, and I'm not about to chance my clowns losing their barbels, too.

So, I decided to experiment. I broke up some slate into pieces ranging from 1/8" to 1/2" and used silicone to stick them to a square plastic container. Now I have "slate" pot that I set in a UGF tank on top of the gravel. Now, I can just move it every so often for variety, as well as to let the gravel "breathe", and cleaning is easy as pie. Here's a pic of the first rendition. Typically, I place my plants behind things, so since you can't see the entire pot, what you do see of the pot is the slate, which of course looks pretty natural. I moved the log that's normally in front of this plant for the picture.

I'm going to try and use different shaped plastic for the next one, and if I feel ambitious, I might even be able to heat up some plastic, and shape it more "naturally". I'm thinking if I can make irregular shaped curvy pots, I'll be able to plant in front of things, too.

Just thought I'd share,
Kelvin

P.S. I SUCK as a tank photographer. It took me 45 minutes to get this shot, and it's still doesn't give you a good look at the slate pieces. Any tips on using a digital camera for tank shots would be appreciated. Nikon CoolPix 885.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg <