Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Aquarium light bulbs

Posted By: AndyC <acrispin@erols.com>
Date: Sunday, 15 September 2002, at 10:57 a.m.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 blue botias, 6 clowns, 4 skunks, 2 zebras, and various other community fish (no plants). During a recent ICK problem, I moved the blues and clowns to a 10 gallon hospital tank and noticed that their colors were unusually vibrant. The oranges were very bright and the blacks were very black. On my 55 gallon, I have a hood with a single 48 inch tube which I've replaced over the years with ordinary fluorescent bulbs. The 10 gallon has a 2 foot bulb. I'm wondering if the bulb on the 10 gallon made the colors better, or maybe the fish were stressed so their colors changed(???). (Although I thought the colors become muted under stress). Does anyone have any suggestions on a bulb that enhances color.