Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

wasting away?

Posted By: Val Stan <aquamancer42@hotmail.com>
Date: Sunday, 15 September 2002, at 1:26 p.m.

Recently (3 weeks ago) I bought 3 loaches for my set up 29 g tank. The biggest one is less then 3 inches and the smallest one is less then 2. The smallest one, also the prettiest one is very skinny, and even though he takes some food(he only takes frozen brine shrimp which he loves and flakes and peas, none of the pellets which I tried giving him or freeze dried plankton) he is not getting any better. Also his gills are red and he sort of gulps at the surface occasionally. The gill thing I believe has been there since I bought him and isn't getting worse/better much. The tank gets enough oxygen. Temp is 25 C, ammonia/nitrite is 0. nitrate is 5-10. Can anybody suggest anything? I was thinking if was worms or something, but in most/all of the cases such as that the fish doesn't eat anything. I haven't observed anything like worms on him, but his feces d