Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Hair Algae, UGF's...

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2002, at 1:33 p.m.

I went to a Mom 'n' Pop LFS over the weekend, and was surprised to see that EVERY single tank ran a UGF. When I asked the guy about this, he said he would never even think about running without one. Now, that's a contradiction to the "new" way of thinking, sin't it? :-)

He also mentioned that in his personal tank at home he NEVER changes his water. He says the UGF takes care of it all, and that all he's ever done in regards to water in that tank in the past two years is add water to replace the water loss from evaporation!

I started questioning him about the silt under the plates and he adamantly stated that the worse thing to do is to remove it because that's where all the bacteria really thrives. Interesting perspective, to say the least.

This shop had many tanks, both fresh and salt water. Since we were on the topic of filtration, he showed me one freshwater tank, which I believe was 265 gallons, and pointed to what I thought was an interesting plant, which was black, thick, and dense, and covered every rock. He said that that plant was the most efficient filter there is. I looked closer at the plant and it was beautiful, waving in the current.

I asked him what it was, and to my surprise he said it was black hair algae! Now, this hair algae was easily 4 inches long and was very thick and covered EVERY rock.

What do you guys think? Was this guy out of his mind, or is he correct?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.