Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Tiger Barb/Clown Loach Mimicry

Posted By: Eric L
Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2002, at 2:43 a.m.

I don't know where I saw/heard? it but if I remember correctly,"whoever" said that Tiger barbs are patterned to mimic Clown Loaches.I guess the barbs want other fish to believe that they posess the subocular spines of the Botias.Made me wonder,what do the Loaches use this spine for?I know it makes them a real difficult meal(Red Devils don't like to eat switchblades),but is that the purpose of the spine?Do predators know that the bold pattern means "this is not a happy meal?".I've heard the clicking when a large Modesta chased big Tilapia away from it's home.Is the spine used in nature as an offensive weapon to secure feeding or breeding turf against heterospecifics or conspecifics?I always thought that the larger Clown barbs(Everreti)looked more like a Clown loach myself.Are the Clown barbs suspected of being mimics also?