Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Calling all long term yoyo owners

Posted By: anne webel <webelan@tiscalinet.be>
Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2002, at 8:30 a.m.

For the past five years I have had four yoyo's in my main aquarium. A few weeks back one of them was in considerable difficulty. S/he was patently unable to swim, the gills were going like the clappers and the mouth was wide open, gasping. The fish was near the bottom of the aquarium. By hand I was able to move him towards the surface where I placed him on a convenient leaf. I then tested the water, which was within the normal parameters, but started to do a water change all the same. Before I had emptied as much as I intended, the yoyo had expired. A visual external examination showed nothing particular. Since no other fish appeared to be having difficulty I put it down to an unknown, this-fish-specific-problem and life continued as usual.

Then a few nights ago as I sat watching the aquarium, the three remaining yoyo's locked onto each other's mouths and the three of them spun around like a St Catherine Wheel firework. Putting my face against the glass and later my hand in the water didn't distract them, so I left them to it. It was clear that whatever they were doing was more important than being scared of a giant extremity entering their territory. The next morning one was dead and to all extent and purposes the other two were ignoring each other.

The aquarium was set up almost six years ago, holds 200 litres, is 1 metre long and has a pH of around 7, hardness medium, nitrites 0, nitrates hovers around 25. These were some of the first fish to go in. Their cohabitants are six panda corys, an unknown number of otocinclus, three, maybe four schistura, ten harlequins, a few remaining small barbs and tetras, two siamesis (adult) and two very happily breeding colisa chuna with an unknown number of fry. The aquarium is a jungle; by which I don't just mean heavily planted, but absolutely impenetrable in parts.

Has anyone had something similar happen with their yoyo's? Is this perhaps adult territoriality making itself known?

As you can imagine, I'm keeping a close eye on the two remaining yoyo's.

Any comments appreciated,

Anne

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.