Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Can Anyone Suggest A Loach?

Posted By: Jay <JPaparella@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 23 September 2002, at 8:12 a.m.

Hello

I have a 100gal freshwater tank, with live plants. Sadly, I also have a snail infestation problem. I want to get a loach to work as a snail eater, but I already have 3 pictus cats, so I don't think I want to get more than one loach. Here's what I want:

1) A loach that will get along with my other bottim feeders and my 2 plecos and 4 ottos
2) A loach that is OK without other loaches for company
3) A loach that isn't going to be territorial with my other fish, and won't molest my other fish (gouramis, danios, swordtails, tiger barbs)
4) A loach that is a good snail eater

I have some salt in the tank, and I keep the temp around 78 degrees F because my Moonlight gouramis like it warm.

Anyway, I do not know of a loach that fits all these parameters. Maybe there isn't one. I had a yoyo loach in there, but he was a terror, probably because he was alone. Since then I have moved him to a different tank and put in 3 other yoyos with him, and he has been a model citizen. I am thinking of trying one of the blue botias with the orange fins, but someone told me they can be very territorial.

I am anxious to hear what you have to say, thank you very much.

-Jay

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.