Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Hagen Product Evaultion

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@canada.com>
Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2002, at 2:39 p.m.

I was fortunate enough to recently sit down and speak with a hagen representative. I had some questions regarding their "Laguna" lines of products. As I was told, the laguna brand dechlorinator (Pond prep I think it was called) was actually the same product as Hagen's "aqua plus".

This interested me, as the ammount of water I move on a weekly basis is somewhat monumental and anything I can do to reduce running costs is beneficial.

I tried the product for an extended period (4 water changes) and have to admit I'm not impressed.

One of several things happened, and it is difficult for me to say if it was user error, or simply a finicky product in small quantities. I have outlined these below:

1.) In some cases the water did not seem to dechlorinate at all (or VERY slowly) and the fish would be rubbing within 12 hours (had water tested for chloramines)

2.) The water would dechlorinate, and the fish would obviously be in distress. Water conditions were stable, so I believe they were reacting to the product themselves

3.) The water would dechlorinate so rapidly that there would be an associated ammonia spike following the water change, in turn causing the fish to stress.

Now, This looks like it would be a fantastic product for LARGE ponds that require chloramine removal. I don't think I have seen a better value product. I would imagine this would also work just as well for new, large tank setups that have no fish in them yet.

I'm sticking with "Aqua Plus" for now, as it comes in 2 Litre containers.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.