Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Unusual "spots" noticed on clowns? Need help.

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@canada.com>
Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2002, at 12:44 a.m.

Ok, its not Ick.. I know what Ick is, so please don't suggest that it is :-)

I noticed today what almost look slike minor ulcering on the skin of severalof my clown loaches. This is very very new and seems to coincide with the introduction of the plecostomus.

If I were to hazard a guess, it looks like a secondary infection has set in after minor injuries were recieved from the pleco's spines (they are trying to share a cave).

What makes it worse, I suspect that the infection may have been introduced from the new Sun loach (Before you rant Greg my Q tank was full, I have set up a second one because of this :-P)

It is difficult for me to take a picture of this ailment because the camera isnt that good, and the clowns won't stay still long enough for the slow shutter speed.

Here is a brief verbal description of the noted spots;

- grayish white, looks like an abbraision
- Some of these spots have pitted a bit, minor ulceration, no visible "flesh", redness, or bleeding
- Spots are no more then 2-2.5 mm
- Fish do not appear in distress, although one would expect that it would be uncomfortable
- No scratching observed whatsoever
- No swelling
- Possible lack of appetite, hard to tell, they've been hiding for a few weeks again (I do see them enough to know that this is a very recent thing)
- Spots dont appear to "spread" but more spots do seem to appear at different locations on the body
- No cottony tufts like fungus

Any suggestions? I am thinking a bacterial infection, and I will start treating with Eurythromycin tomorrow unless anyone can suggest otherwise.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.