Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Iron on Rocks

Posted By: peterinwa <peterinwa@attbi.com>
Date: Thursday, 24 October 2002, at 6:55 p.m.

Following Gareth's advice I went to my local building rock supplier to look for slate. I want my rocks to look like Gareth's! (And my plants and the rest, too! LOL)

I particularly like their slightly "tumbled" slate which doesn't have the very sharp edges you usually find.

They call their slate Iron Mountain Slate and you can see why. There are rust-colored veins running through it. It often breaks along these veins so an entire side can be rust-colored.

With a fully planted tank this might be great for the plants. But could it be bad for the fish or bad for any other reason?

Before I buy new rocks I will test them with vinegar and before putting them in a tank I will let them stand in water for a week