Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

New Plants, New Lighting, New Algae

Posted By: peterinwa <peterinwa@attbi.com>
Date: Sunday, 27 October 2002, at 9:42 p.m.

I'm struggling, learning to keep live plants and wondering if it might be harder then keeping fish! LOL

My inspiration is twofold: Gareth's beautiful tank pictures, and the belief that a natural aquarium will naturally help take care of itself.

My Narrow Leaf Chain Sword (Echinodorus tennellus) is about 3 weeks old and lost about 6 leaves each of the first two weeks. This third week I may only remove 3, but many of the others don't look so good. I'm hoping this is still transplant shock and watching for new growth. If it keeps up I'd give it a month to live.

My Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri v. Nana) and Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) are a week old. The Anubias looks fine and a baby leaf is opening up. The Sagittaria is suffering the same kind of transplant shock.

Also one week old is my new lighting, one 15 watt 9325K GE Aqua Rays F15T8 AR-FS 14 hours/day. I got it for the plants, but it seems to be growing brown algae.

I'm not sure it's brown algae, but that's the color and before my only algae was dark green. It's mostly in two very specific places: A 1" high strip on the front glass that runs about 1/2 way across from the bottom under the gravel to 1/2" above the gravel, and on the 1/2" wide black plastic intake for the filter.

I'm thinking that the algae was caused by the light and that changing my three remaining plastic plants to live plants will help solve the problem as they will consume whatever the algae is feeding on.

I wanted to wait till I was successful with my new plants before purchasing others. But now I'm thinking I shouldn't wait.

I can't find the plants you all have recommended, so I'm thinking I'll just buy three of whatever tomorrow and see how they do.

Until I'm real sure I want to keep live plants I don't think I want to buy them on-line and pay the shipping cost.

Thanks for reading all my woes... any thoughts welcome! Peter

Messages In This Thread