Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

I Need some idea's....

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@canada.com>
Date: Tuesday, 29 October 2002, at 10:48 a.m.

Well as many of you know already the 135 gallon is finally settled in and the fish are happy. I only have a couple of nagging annoyances that I would like to smooth out a bit and this tank is pretty much done, except for maybe some new plants, lights, CO2, additional filter etc.. (Did I really say done? sheesh)

Anyway, here are my issues. The Sun loach, although he is very cool and colourful, is an absolute nutball. He will launch out of his cave and attack anyone that comes near, especially if there is food in the water. Nobody is getting hurt by this, as his attacks seem to be more show then anything. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him make contact with anyone except the Tiger botia. Seeing as their are 9 other loaches in this tank, you think that its enough to disperse his "attention"?

The second issue is the Tiger Botia (yes I know hes big, mean, nasty, etc). He is getting along fine with everyone, with the exception being the yoyo. If the tiger even see's the yoyo we will go barrelling from one end of the tank to the other popping like no loach I have ever heard. The yoyo is a much faster fish and has never been caught by the tiger but I am concerned that this is stressing him. If I add 2-3 more do you think this will help disperse the Tiger unwanted advances? I don't mind the chasing at all, thats just natural behavior, I just dont want to stress the yoyo to the point of a fishie breakdown.

Thats it really... Once the Dojo's were removed from this tank and put into their new cooler water paradise (the pleco's old tank) the Tiger totally mellowed out. In fact he's one of my favorite fish in this tank now (along with the clowns, yoyo, sun loach, yadda yadda, anything loachy seems to fly with me..)

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.