Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Messy Flakes

Posted By: peterinwa <peterinwa@attbi.com>
Date: Thursday, 31 October 2002, at 1:34 a.m.

When I only had Tetras, flakes were fine. As long as I put in just a little at a time, they'd get every bit before any hit the gravel. I should also mention that I'd break them into tiny pieces as if a huge flake fell and made it to the gravel it would just sit there.

But now my Clowns have converted my Tetras to bottom feeding. The Black Neons will still go to the surface for Freeze Dried Blood Worms, but the Glowlights just hang around the bottom and ignore the surface food. I can't figure out what they eat.

When I was a kid I fed my fish tiny pellets. So small that they floated on the surface. Do they still make these?

I'm looking for a surface food that doesn't sink so easily and make such a mess of uneaten food.

Also, is there any particular reason that flakes should be included in the diet?

Presently I'm feeding:

-- Tetra TetraMin Tropical Flakes, The Rich Mix (main food for Tetras)
-- Hiraki Sinking Wafers (main food for Clowns and R-T Shark)
-- Today's Freeze Dried Blood Worms (minor food for Tetras)
-- Hiraki Algae Wafers (occasional food for all)

I'd like to replace the flakes with something else. And I really want to avoid fresh/frozen stuff. Really.

Thanks for indulging me, Peter

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with