Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

DISEASE CONTINUES

Posted By: Greg Dunlap <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Thursday, 31 October 2002, at 5:30 p.m.

This bacterial I got with the Black Tetras is a MEAN bastard. I have had them in iso for 8 days, and I am still fighting the infection!

I am done with the ich-med. But the Spectrogram could not knock this stuff out, even after a week (first failure EVER!).

I went and got some Maracyn-2. It is an internal infection, of that I have no doubt, most likely gram-negative.

I have been using the Spectrogram and the Maracyn Two for three days now. The blood-streaks in the tails have been fought to a minimum, but are still there. The fish seem more comfortable and are eating well. The reaction to the meds indicates it is a gram-neg, but a nasty one.

I was told by a dealer about a month ago Tetras are being mass-bred in tanks and huge quantities of antibiotics are being used to keep them healthy (like poultry). I seem to have a case of that here- an antibiotic resistant bacterial infection.

These Black Tetras are TOUGH little fish (much tougher than Neons) and I suspect most survive the barrage of antibiotics but carry resistant diseases with them because they are so tough.

This is the only disease I have ever seen in quarantine that did not "cure or kill". I will continue with the treatment for another week or so, and if I can't rid the fish of the infection I will stop the meds. I have no doubt they will then die, but the good thing is I never put them into my tank.

This is the toughest bacterial infection in fish I have ever seen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am considering switching to erythromyacin and seeing if that will clear it up (I have heard it sometimes works where Maracyn fails). I have it fought back about 50%, but I can't seem to drop it further.

If they had gone into the main I have no doubt it would have been a disaster. And if these die, I will probably quit buying Tetras altogether. What I have been told about the way they are being bred seems to be true. I have never had a problem with Zebras or other small fish like this, only with Tetras. GREG

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.