Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Martin - A Question?

Posted By: SusanA <susanccr@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 12 November 2002, at 4:16 p.m.

You posted earlier in response to a powerhead question that it is arguable that powerheads increase the efficiency of an undergravel filter. That got me thinking.

I know that powerheads pull water through the gravel faster which would seem to increase the oxygen to the bacteria and therefore allow them to work better. However, an air-driven UG pulls water through much more slowly, presumably allowing the bacteria to do its job. Is that what you meant or is my reasoning faulty? Can you shed some light on my confusion? I used air-driven UGF for many years, and I started my current 55g tank with them, too, although I'm using powerheads now. I realize that there are other reasons to use powerheads