Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Kuhlis

Posted By: Kaitlin
Date: Saturday, 16 November 2002, at 9:45 p.m.

Any body know what a young kuhli loach looks like? I was up visiting my aunt and went to a huge fish store to get some kuhli loaches because all the pet stores down by me don't have any in stock and won't be getting any anytime soon. On the tank it said they were kuhlis so I got 3 but now that I am about to put them in quarantine they look a lot like freshwater eels from the top and I am beginning to doubt what they really are. Here's a description that I can observe from them sitting in a bucket next to me: They are about 2.5 inches long and are light brown with some darker brown spots/stripes along the top. When looking down on them it looks like they are moving like a snake through water. Their thickness is about the width of a thick piece of spaghetti-very skinny. The head is slightly arrow-shaped and the eyes are on top and close together. They have one dorsal fin that is towards the latter 1/3 of the body. Can anybody tell me anything about them based on this description? Do I have any sort of loach at all, or is it just some random species of eel-looking fish? I tried to look for whiskers or anything of that nature to define them as some type of loach or not, but if there are any they are too small to be seen when I looked. All information would be very helpful in trying to figure out what this fish is. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.