Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

So many questions about tiger barbs

Posted By: Tibor <tiborkun@earthlink.net>
Date: Sunday, 17 November 2002, at 11:03 a.m.

I have two questions about tiger barbs, and currently have 7 in my 55-gallon.

First of all, are they REALLY aggressive? In my experience it's been nearly the opposite. The only aggression I've found is harmless playing amongst themselves and tearing a couple triops (trilobyte-shaped shrimp) limb from limb. However, I have a lone neon tetra that's survived whatever ate the other ... 29 ... and the barbs don't pester. Added harlequin rasboras and no harrassment. Put my male betta in there rather nervously and no chasing. I've thought "Well they say they're better in groups", but Lesley had a lone green one in with tetras, male betta et al and no harm came to the other fish. So are these fish really aggressive, or is this a fishkeeping myth?

Second, I bought them and added because I'd heard they were so good with clowns. Sure enough, my pack of 5 botias are more relaxed and less timid with the new additions. Is this because of the species or because of the color? The reason I ask is because I've since fallen for those green tiger barbs; they're sooooo beautiful, and am considering doing a trade. Will the clowns remain at ease due to the species, or is the attraction purely based on similar color? Anyone have experience herein? Also, will green and orange/black get along okay? School together or remain apart?

This is kinda off topic, but directly relates to the disposition of my clowns, so that's why I'm posting it here.

TIA!

"Je vous envoie dehors comme macracanthus parmi le modesta"

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.