Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Found out why my canister was freakin loud....

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@msn.com>
Date: Saturday, 30 November 2002, at 6:57 p.m.

So it's "tank day" today, the day where I clean the tanks, filters, add any fish (if applicable), prune plants etc... I added 5 baby tiger barbs to the bastard tank to make the school a bit bigger, and I decided to add some carbon to one of the filters on the big tank.

Now, for a few days now I've noticed that the water flow was a bit lower then usual coming out of the Fluval 404. Not a big deal, I figured the prefilter sponges were just a bit gummed up. However, much to my surprise, when I opened the canister I heard a gross (and I mean skin crawling gross) crunching sound. I turned teh top over to discover more snails then I have ever seen in an enclosed space. It was like sandpaper it was covered in so many baby snails.

As I take the filter apart tray by tray sponge by sponge I pulled out hundreds if not thousands of snails ranging from 1/16th of an inch to 1 inch in size. All this in the space of 2 weeks! I've always had a few snails in filter, that can't be helped, but this, this was just astounding.

I'm pretty sure I have destroyed any bacteria that was living in that filter as I nuked it with scalding hot water to eliminate the snails. I couldnt have let that many Malasian Trumpets and Ramshorns into the main tank, they would destroy the plants before the loaches could get them.

The filter is up and running again and is moving more water then it has in a while. I think I'm going to have to add a sponge prefilter to the suface skimmer to prevent plant matter from getting sucked in though....

Sheesh...

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with We