Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Drew: And anyone else who cares about salt

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, 3 December 2002, at 2:00 a.m.

I went to an LFS three towns over from me this past weekend. The owner was pouring in massive amounts of salt in ALL his tanks. Corys, loaches, plecos, the works. Not one tank had any evidence of disease, I kid you not. Being that I'm on speaking terms with this guy, I started chatting about the salt, and the discussions we've had on this forum. It turns out he runs salt at high concentrations, and adds QuickCure with EVERY water change. Now, that part is understandable since he goes through fish like, well...water, being that he is a fish dealer.

Anyway, I told him how much more active and how much more appetite my fish have since I've been running salt, and he wasn't surprised at all. His only comment was that planted tanks should run less salt than he puts in.

He also doesn't pre-dissolve the salt, which makes sense to me, since pre-dissolving salt would make adding it instantaneously up the salt content in the water, whereas letting the salt slowly dissolve in the tank increases the water's salt content at a much slower gradual rate.

This guy says he hasn't seen ICH in years, and he's a retailer! That says something. Cleanest tanks I've ever seen in a retail environment, and the healthiest, most colorful fish, too!

Just thought you might want to hear this, and hope this info might be helpful to others.

Kelvin

Messages In This Thread