Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

RiverTank Brainwave. *PIC*

Posted By: Martin Thoene <gkadar@sympatico.ca>
Date: Saturday, 7 December 2002, at 3:54 p.m.

I had a brain fart today. I was remembering the thread a while back on the Endless Pool concept....

http://www.endlesspools.com/index.html

Us Hillstream Nuts had a major brainstorming session on that one trying to work out how you could do it in a home aquarium. The idea of putting a trolling motor into a chamber within a tank came up, but wasn't TOO practical was it?

You need a tank in a tank sort of thing for this to work and three sheets of glass siliconed into a regular tank will give you that. The inner tank has to be set below the top of the main tank.

Water flows through a full width grid(to prevent fish ingestion) into a chamber at the end. This could have a hang-on filter, or intake and outlet for a cannister filter to provide the tank with easily serviced filtration.

Water then flows through the chamber created under the inner tank to a chamber at the other end. The top of this chamber is sealed by a "roof" that is drilled to take bulkhead fittings. These can site two or better three BIG powerheads, so water gets pumped up to the upper chamber. ALTERNATIVELY, the bulkhead fittings can be hooked up to a BIG external pump with water being returned back into the upper chamber. This allows external venting of pump heat and should result in less heat-sink into the water.

Whichever method is used, water can only move UP and therefore fills the upper chamber and overflows back into the inner tank over a (full tank width)weir. This gives a continous, unidirectional flow within the inner tank without the localised pressure points when a powerhead jet ejects into a conventional tank. This should alleviate "bounce back" and flow reversals that we all get in our current River-Tanks.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me the last time we discussed this concept.

COMMENTS?

Martin.

Messages In This Thread