Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Kuhli questions from a newbie...

Posted By: Guff <guffmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, 11 December 2002, at 6:04 p.m.

G'day folks, just recently got acquainted with the beautiful Kuhli Loach and I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with...

1) How many can I keep in a planted 6 gallon Eclipse tank? I have 4 in there now, and I'd like more but I'm not sure how much room they need. Mind you, they all sleep in one big pile so I don't think they'd really care how many there were!

2) If I were to add other fish that swim close to the top (say, tetras or danios), would this make the Kuhli's more shy? They're quite adventurous and entertaining, I wouldn't want to ruin that.

3) Will they eat plants? I have one in particular who seems fond of gnawing at the roots of a plant I have in there, but from what I've read they are carnivorous.

4) Has anyone had experiences with them jumping into filter systems, and if so how did you stop it happening? The problem I have is that the Eclipse filter system has an open top, and they keep bungee-ing straight onto the filter pad. Haven't lost any yet thankfully, they revive as soon as they get near water again.

5) Are there any reliable indicators for sexing Kuhlis? Of the 4 I have, two are oranger and have darker bands and two are pinker with muddy-brown bands (I think they're all from the same spawning though so they aren't different species). Just wondering if this might be an indicator of sex.

All in all, these are the cutest and most entertaining fish I've ever seen - I'm hooked! Despite what I've read, they are quite hardy too, being the sole survivors of a series of mishaps that killed all of their tankmates (including a usually-indestructible Betta). Also, despite what I've read they burrow easily under larger gravel (8-10mm diameter) and can often be seen with their heads poking up like periscopes.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.