Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Cheap QT tanks and AquaTech Filters

Posted By: peterinwa <peterinwa@attbi.com>
Date: Thursday, 12 December 2002, at 4:19 p.m.

While Christmas shopping I've been looking into ideas for a QT tank. It's been between buying a 5.5 gal glass tank ($15 US) and an incandescent hood ($25 is the cheapest I've found) or just buying a 10 gal ($11) and using my old incandescent hood. The latter would be easiest and cheapest but I think the idea of having a very small QT is better.

Mostly I'm stuck on where to put the thing without getting rid of any of my treasured antiques. (Something will have to go for my bigger tank.)

Today I stumbled upon a 5.5 gal kit at Walmart. It's a glass tank with an incandescent hood AND an AquaTech filter for only $27. That's pretty good as the filter alone sells for $15 and all I'll need is a heater and it's complete! My question is about the filter.

It looks exactly like my Penguine Mini but without the bio-wheel. I thought it was the bio-wheel that played the greatest role in the tank in maintaining the bio-filter. If the Aqua-tech relies on the filter cartridge, when you change it the bio-filter will be gone!?!

Perhaps they rely on the rest of the tank, e.g., the gravel, to support a bio-filter. But it has been suggested that the best QT tank be almost bare as plants and gravel and the like can interfere with medicines should they be needed.

I'm confused (which is not so unusual!).

Peter

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg