Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Thank you all

Posted By: MsFish <MsFish359@hotmail.com>
Date: Saturday, 14 December 2002, at 1:01 p.m.

Many thanks to all of you here at the Loach Forum for your help with information regarding the recreation of where hillstream loaches live in an aquarium. My class has enjoyed it tremendously and has learned more about the inter-relation of habitat and its denizens than they could ever learn in a book.

We are now moving on to the Amazon basin, where our tetras come from. We have discovered three different types of water, which sometimes exist quite close to each other. There is muddy "whitewater", called white because of the mud and other sediment which turns it a beige color, "blackwater", which is the color of dark tea from contact with plant debris, and "clearwater" which is high in mineral content from flowing over rocks and sand.

We are now discussing how we would build a blackwater habitat in an aquarium. The water would have to be very soft and acid, perhaps with tannin-rich woods. Your hillstream habitat has "furnishings" of rocks and clinging plants. Our blackwater habitat, we think, would have furnishings of wood.

We would be very interested in input from all of you as to how you might go about putting together such an aquarium. Do any of you have this type of tank?

We are particularly interested as to whether aquatic plants would be a part of this environment. It seems to us that overhanging trees would block the light?

I do apologize for posting this here. I know this is a loach forum, but all of you have proven to be so knowledgeable and have such insight that we all felt we might impose on you further. If this is improper, please let me know and we will not post non-loach questions. Unless maybe there are loaches in the Amazon basin? (LOL)

Thanks in advance,
D. Fish

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.