Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Response to SusanA's Qs

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Monday, 16 December 2002, at 7:52 p.m.

--CLIP
I REALLY like that sand, Kelvin. I notice you didn't make it very deep - was that to keep it clean and cut down on dead spots? How do your plants like the shallow substrate?

And your pics aren't bad at all! :-)
--ENDCLIP

Sorry I didn't respond to your post in a timely manner...I think I must've missed it. I moved my post up under a new thread because I thought other might be interested in this.

Anyway, I keep the sand 1 - 1.5 inches deep because I was initially worried about possible anaerobic dead spots, which I don't think I should've worried about, since the grain of the gravel seems to be large enough so as NOT to encounter this problem.

The plants don't seem to care much about the depth. I have noticed, though, that some swords in my 5.5 gallon tank are shooting roots halfway across the tank. I have overfiltration in that tank, being that I'm pumping 100gph via my AquaClear Mini. The water return makes a depression in the sand aside directly below the return. Recently, I noticed some growth of something green peeking up out of the sand, and thinking that it must've been the remnants of a previous plant, started to pull it up. It turned out to be the roots from a sword. Now, the interesting thing here it that although most roots are white, there is quite a bit of green in these roots, and they're very tough and wiry, instead of soft and pliable. This leads me to believe that there MUST be good aeration in the sand, and that the light must be penetrating the grains of sand or something. How else would roots become green? And, I'm not talking algae green, I'm talking chlorophyll.

I have heard of swords sending out runners, but there doesn't seem to be any new plants forming, just killer roots. I take this as a good sign, in regards to aeration of the substrate and nutrient absorption.

You know how they say a larger tank is better to maintain than a small one? Well, in my case it's not true. Although this tank is WAAAY overstocked, it's the cleanest, lowest maintenance tank I have. I have:

2 2.5-inch striatas
2 2-inch corydoras adolfois
1 1.5-inch rubbernose pleco
2 .5-inch black molly fry
1 2-inch siamese algae eater

8 fish totalling 14 inches of fish. That's alot of fish in a 5.5 gallon. Interestingly, whenever I do a water change, I always try to vaccum up waste by hovering the vaccum just above the sand, but nothing ever comes up off the sand in this tank. And, I never see any waste on the sand, either. Now, with that many fish and their subsequent load, you would think there would be alot of waste. But there never is any on the sand. I'm thinking it must be breaking down faster than it's accumulating, which must be very fast, considering that I feed VERY heavily.

On top of that, I usually clean filters in my tanks every two weeks, and whenever I go to clean this tank's filter, there's really nothing to clean. I mean there isn't ANY visible waste to speak of on the sponge. The sponge ALWAYS looks like it's just been cleaned. I usually rinse it anyway, and hardly anything comes off of it.

Now, my other tanks ALWAYS have stuff on the sponges. I can't understand it. Either the fish are eating their own waste, which is highly unlikely, given the type of fish I have, or this tank is the most perfect-running tank. I think it's the latter. The bacteria must be breaking everything down completely, and quickly. If this is the way the ultimate tank is supposed to be, I'm striving to get all my tanks to run this way. I'm not kidding. The ONLY thing I have to do is change water. No waste on the sand, no dead spots to worry about, no filter cleaning necessary, AND there's never any algae build-up (probably due to the SAE and pleco in there, although I've never seen any hair algae to begin with).

If I can only figure out how to duplicate this setup, I'd be a very happy camper!

Anybody know why this tank is so perfect? Also, am I correct in assuming this is the way all tanks are supposed to run, theorectically? The past about the bacteria breaking down all waste is right, right?

Kelvin

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.