Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Had a Fire....a REAL Fishy Nightmare! *PIC*

Posted By: cybermeez <cybermeez@NOSPAMaol.com>
Date: Friday, 20 December 2002, at 3:15 p.m.

My Kuhlis weren't cut to ribbons like they were in my dream the other night, but there was a tank related fire in my apartment last night.

I was out of town attending my cousin's funeral and my boyfriend was supposed to be home to take care of the cats and fish. Well he wasn't. He went out and got blitzed with his friend and never came home. If he had been there like he promised none of this would have happened...but that's a wole other story.

Anyway, somehow around 2am water got in to the power strip. It shorted out and over heated melting the plastic and causing a small fire under the tank. The short did trip the strip's circuit breaker, but it still got hot enough to melt and cause a lot of smoke.

The smoke set of the alarm and fortunately the neighbor called the fire dept. Because no one was home the firemen had to use a axe to get the door open and into my studio apartment. So, there's about $500 in damage I'll have to pay my landlord for.

The smoke smelled horrible (burnt plastic so the place stinks!) but the fire pretty much put itself out and damage was confined to the aquaruim cabinet.

Fortunately my 2 siameses cat and the fish are ok, but the landlord now says I was violating my lease by having "water furniture" in the apartment (AKA an aquarium). I've lived here seven years and I don't now, nor never have, seen anything in my lease about "water furniture", aquariums, or any other pets for that matter. He wanted me to get rid of the fish and I told him that I was not going to give up my pets and that when my lease runs out I will move....sooner if he lets me out of it.

Needless to say, the boyfriend is in the doghouse big time and the whole relationship is being reassesed due to responsibility "issues".

I'm just glad the cats and fish are ok and that nobody got hurt. Still, this has got to be one of the biggest and costly hassles for me in recent memory.

Happy these power strip things work tho.....

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | R