Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Goodbye, Football Loaches :-(

Posted By: Mr Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, 14 January 2003, at 4:28 p.m.

I couldn't take it any more.

Two of my clowns, about 3 inches now, I got when they were tiny things. I hand-picked them out of a batch of ICH infested clowns, and raised them with the utmost of care.

They were the shape of footballs, bright orange, with screaming orange tails. In a word, they were beautiful.

Well, today I sold them to an LFS. I was getting sick and tired of them eating my plants. Get that one! I started fishkeeping, and got plants to help the fish. Yet, when they start eating plants, I get rid of the fish? Go figure!

Needless to say, I'm now sitting with seller's remorse, wondering if I should've kept 'em anyway. You know how that goes.

Anyway, I did notice something was different about those two clowns. Their middle stripe was very unique, in that at the top near the spine, the band was the typical thick band, but about 1/4 inch down from the spine, the black band's width drastically reduced to a pinstripe width for the remainder of the stripe.

Now, I've seen variations of color and patterns before, but there seem to be hardly any variations of the width of the middle stripe, even in saddle-back patterned clowns. Could it be s regional thing, where clowns from a certain area eats plants? Hmmm....

I mean, they ate EVERY plant I threw at them including Java Fern, Pothos, Swords, Crypts, Anubias. And there diet was well-varied and inlcuded bloodworms, brineshrimp, Hikari everything, shrimp pellets, real zucchinni, you name it, so it definitely wasn't a lack of nutrition. Especially since they were the best-looking clowns.

Oh well, bummer. But the lone 4 inch clown left in this tank will now have to make friends with the largest striata I have, who's going to be moved because he's beating the crap out of the other two striatas. Striatas seem to be much like modestas. But, I've heard some of you post that sometimes clowns and striatas can shoal together. We'll see, I guess....

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with