Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Ick.. Again.. and with a vengeance

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@msn.com>
Date: Tuesday, 21 January 2003, at 5:48 p.m.

Well.. I haven't posted this yet because I was hoping I could take care of it quickly and discretely, but it appears that fate has interefered. I managed to introduce Ick (again) into my main tank about 2+ weeks ago. I suspect it hitched a ride on the Striata's and I didnt QTine them long enough, or something along those lines. Regardless, I have been fighting Ick daily with QuickCure for over 14 days and new spots are still forming.

We've all heard the tale, its Ick that has become reistant to Malachite/Analyne Green.

Now, I'm about to do something different, and I have 2 choices (I'm not fond of either).

1.) Dose the tank with a High Dose of salt and continue Quick Cure treatments. This is VERY hard on my plants and always ends up messing "something" up in the tank balance. I'm not sure of the Quick Cure will be able to Kill the Ick alone, so hopefully the Salt will.

2.) Start dosing the tank with Clout. I have not used Clout on my clowns, ever, and I'm not sure how they will react. It's always been a "Do or Die" medication for me, and I'm worried it might be overkill.

What should I do? I'm worried that the Clowns may start to suffer from Gill damage (either from the Ick or the medication itself).

I'm extremely frustrated with the whole situation and could use some feedback.

Thanks,

Gareth

Messages In This Thread