Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Chlorine/chloramine

Posted By: loaching
Date: Wednesday, 22 January 2003, at 11:01 a.m.

Washington Post had an interesting article today in its food section regarding tap water. Just letting water age might not help with munciple water additives. The story said, at best, the water has to sit 48 hours, and that only works if chlorine GAS has been used. Other ways of adding chlorine, won't necessarily go away, and if they use chloramine (this was the part that was new to me) it won't go away at all, even after a week. The only way to know is to call your water utility. I have to confess to using de-chlorinizer chemicals in my fish water because its faster ... now I have even more reason, although I'm generally not too fast to add stuff to my water. If you're interested, here's the link. (It may go away pretty fast. I'm posting this on Wednsday.)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21720-200