Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Kelvin - KH and soft water

Posted By: SusanA <susanccr@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 31 January 2003, at 8:47 p.m.

Like you, I have ridiculously soft water - hardness doesn't even register on my test kit. I don't know what your Ph is out of the tap, but mine is crazy high. It ranges from 8.5 to above the range of my high-range ph test (which maxes out at 10). It seems the water company doesn't like to have the acid water in their pipes, so they raise the Ph and in such soft water everything you do is exaggerated.

I'd been raising the Kh to about 4 with baking soda during water changes so that I don't run the risk of a Ph crash. Problem with that is baking soda also adds salt, which I don't really want.

It was recommended that I try Seachem's Equilibrium, and I must say I've been really ha