Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Planted Tank Mishap... oops

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@msn.com>
Date: Monday, 3 February 2003, at 11:00 a.m.

Well I've gone and done something silly again... (I do this far too often)

In my 22 Gallon tank one of the stem plants is growing out of control. I decided on Thursday or Friday that this required drastic pruning so I went at it with my shears (figuratively speaking). I managed to remove a chunk of the plant 4 feet long that was choking the light off.

Big mistake

Apparently, the fast growing plants in this tank had been consuming ammonia before it was being converted to Nitrite/Nitrate. As soon as the plant mass was reduced my 22 gallon tank suffered a notable ammonia spike, and killed off several shrimp. The Ph in this tank is quite low, so the fish never even showed any signs of stress (the ammonia was non toxic in this low ph so its no wonder) but the shrimp definately suffered.

So far I've lost;

5 "Tiger Shrimp" - Unknown Cardina SPecies
2 Cardina Japonica
1 Unknown Cardina
1 Ghost shrimp

Now I should still have about a dozen shrimp in there, but its hard to tell, they've all been hiding in stress. I was changing water all weekend to dilute teh ammonia without shocking hte fish and it is finally under controll, but man, what a bummer.

Live and learn...

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.