Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Ick Gone, White light, and other surprises!

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@msn.com>
Date: Thursday, 13 February 2003, at 12:49 p.m.

So after 3 days of Clout and Salt Ick disapeared and noone is scratching any more. Velvet is still present, however it isnt spreading. I'm going to have to figure out how to address this one differently I think.

Anyway, I did a 50% water change last night and added 2 full boxs of fresh carbon to the tank. It doesnt look quite so green any more. In fact, it looks more like I thought it should look! It looks like some of my peat in the filter was REALLY tannin heavy (WAY more then I had thought) and the water was pretty yellow. After a water change it was noticably clearler (and I felt pretty silly), this morning the water looked fantastic.

Oh, and it looks like the colour of the wood canopy is also a contributing factor to the yellow tint (it isnt that bad now really, but the whiter I can make it, the better). I tried placing a piece of tinfoil over the bulbs and it made a huge difference. I'll be painting it this weekend, and then covering the top with reflective Mylar. I still have to add some vents in the top for heat dissapation, but so far so good! I'm finally happy with how the tank is looking.

I had another surprise this morning as well. I turned ont eh light to see how everything was looking and low and behold, there was a shrimp! I have amanged to see 3 different shrimp now in this tank when I thought they were all dead. Apparently the remaing shrimp are "Ueber", as they have managed to survive 18 days of Quickcure and 3 days of Clout! I may end up killing them if I have to treat with Copper though.... Its going to come down to killing off the velvet

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.

<