Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

growth expected in aquarium raised B.Helodes

Posted By: Microglanis
Date: Monday, 24 February 2003, at 10:25 p.m.

Was looking for a Loach that could fare well in a tank with a good size Mystus catfish.Wound up with a 4" Botia Helodes.I have always felt both from personal experience and talking with other aquarists that loaches for whatever reason(another great topic-sensitivity to growth inhibiting substances,difficulty in reproducing rich natural diet,high metabolism,inreased body size from swimming against current in streams?)were among the fish that many times come close to reaching potential natural sizes when raised from juveniles in aquaria.I have had Acanthopsis and B.Striata that were fed various frozen foods 3 times a day and experienced very slow growth.I know some people are able to grow big loaches in aquaria.I just feel it is more difficult than growing snakeheads or bichirs for example.
Anyway...What size might I expect from my new Helod