Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

New Clowns: Behavioral Question: filtration

Posted By: Barbara <bjmaitri@megalink.net>
Date: Wednesday, 26 February 2003, at 9:22 a.m.

I just got three clown loaches yesterday and they are in a 20L with plants, caves and so on...alone. There are three AC filters on this tank: two 200s and one 150. I have them running at the "low" setting. Is this too much water movement for them? I had read in the article by James that for these young loaches it is possible to have too much current (I had NOT seen that comment before and had zeroed in on the fact that loaches like current). Because they spend a bunch of time running up and down one end of the tank I am wondering if it is the amount of current is causing this behavior. Loaches are new to me so I assume this is like other fish and when that type of behavior is going on I assume something is wrong.

I usually post on the FWF and folks there said it sounded like my situation was ok for them. The ph they came from at the lfs was slightly higher than in this particular tank (about 7.7 or 7.8 at the lfs and about 7.6 in this tank.) The nitrates are about 10 and I wonder if that could be a problem. Or perhaps this behavior is not so unusual??? Anyway, they eat, rest occasionally and otherwise seem ok, although one or another of them does sometimes leave their little group and go somewhere to hide I guess as I cannot find it when this happens...or one goes elsewhere and rests on the bottom....

thanks for any help.

Barbara

Messages In This Thread