Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Something I've Noticed About Partial Water Changes

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Saturday, 22 March 2003, at 8:00 p.m.

Years ago, I used to have a 40 gal cube tank that I used for a "mixing vat" for my partial water changes -- after dechlor was added, rock salt, baking soda, I'd run a powerhead in there to just mix it up. Then, I'd attach a hose to the powerhead and run the water into the main tank.

I quit doing this, using a Python and just adding water directly to the tank and adding dechlor periodically. I noticed that my fish flash for a while after partial water changes.

Today, I wondered if I should try adding water the way I used to. I purchased a 38 gal plastic container, and mixed Amquel with the water (I no longer add rock salt or baking soda). I let it mix for about 10 minutes, then added a hose to the powerhead and refilled the tank. It was a 1/2 water change. Temp and pH of the tap water matched that of the tank.

I must say, there is a *vast* difference in how the fish behave. One sid initially flashed after swimming into the current. Other than that, no flashing. I think I'll be continuing this method for partial water changes from now on. I know it's not as convenient, but the fish have shown me that they prefer this method.

JL

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.