Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Botia Angelicus- Dominance or Mating?

Posted By: JamisonBWolsh <JamisonBWolsh@Hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, 24 March 2003, at 7:15 p.m.

Hi!

I just bought 3 of these guys for 14.99 in Los angeles. I know these are really rare and hard to get loaches so there is not much info on them in general. My question is this. I have 2 full grown adult Yoyo's (Fat and lazy I may add). They would once in a while chase one of the angelicus, but it would be for a very short duration. So I have no problems there. This is my question.

I feed frozen brine shrimp nightly, flakes in the morning and cichlid food sticks in the afternoon. My Ph ranges from 6.0-7.0 and temp is 78 with high nitrates. All three are still alive and no one is pestering them. Today, I witnessed 2 of them swimming in a circular motion at a fast pace with each other making a "o". They did this many times throughout the day. Is this a dominance issue or mating?

Keep in mind I have 2 Full Yoyo's that would be at the top of the pecking order because of their size. I hope its a mating ritual? maybe?

I also notice that they do not really "school" togethor. Sure, once in a while, they are togethor, but they do not always hang around each other all the time. Same thing for the Yoyo's. There are no aggressive fish in my tank setup.

Here is my tank setup:

60 Gallon:

equipment:

Emperor 400
Rainbow fluidized bed filter
Heater

Fish:

3 Albino Tinfoils
1 GOLDEN NUGGET PLECO
1 starlight bristlnose pleco
1 orange spot pleco (L001)
6 white cloud mountain minnows (from startup)
2 boesemans Rainbows
1 Red tail shark
3 skunk cories
2 Yoyo loaches
3 syd. Petricolas
1 Elephant nose
3 Angelicus Botia

Thanks for your help!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.