Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

OT - Cool Bristlenose and sand *PIC*

Posted By: MrLeadFoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wednesday, 2 April 2003, at 1:19 a.m.

I thought I'd share these pics of a new Bristlenosed Plecostomus I happened upon recently. Although I can't seem to get the colors quite right when taking digital pics of him, in his happiest moods, he's a blue/slate-grey color with white spots. His dorsal is also quite large, and is up much of the time, except, of course, when he knows I'm taking pictures of him. GRRRRR!! :-)

Anyway, he's been in q-tine for over a week, with no meds, and I think for the first time ever, I may have a new fish with NO disease! He's devoured all algae of all kinds off of all surfaces, and my plants look good as new. He eats anything I put in the tank, including TetraMin flakes, spirulina flakes and tabs, Hikari wafers, Hikari algae wafers, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworms...you name it. It's unbelievable. His colors are so cool, I may try to get a female to breed with. Although he currently has few bristles, I'm quite certain that it's because he's so young, and that he is really is a he because of his strong coloring, and usually males of most animal species sport more attractive qualities, like colors, patterns, shape, etc. Of course, that does NOT hold true for human beings! (Whew, covered myself there.) If any of you think he is a she, I'd appreciate hearing why you think so, because I'd hate to get another one of the same sex. I could be breeding forever with no results! :-)

At the same time, these pics also show my sand real close-up. This is the sand I boasted about in the past that seems to get no anaerobic spots, and NEVER gets sucked up into filters although my intakes are between 1.5 and 2.5 inches from the bottom, and the type of fish I have stir it up quite a bit. The grains actually look more like rocks in the pics, due to the closeups, but to give you a  better perspective, the corkscrew vallis in Pic 1 is only about 2 inches long, as is the pleco, sans the tail.

Kelvin

Messages In This Thread