Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Clown Loaches and salt

Posted By: Tibor Meszaros <t_meszaros@hotmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 2 April 2003, at 6:25 p.m.

I have heard many a LFS tell me that adding a small amount of salt to a freshwater tank is beneficial to the fish with respect to disease control and some other parameters I cannot recall at this time. Everyone tells me that you should not add salt if you have loaches and other "scale-less" fish. That has always been dogma from whoever I ask. I recently purchased a pair of archerfish for my fresh tank, which were in freshwater and of course they are known to occur in brackish and sometimes full strength seawater along with freshwater. When I was looking up info on brackish fishes I came across an article on wetwebmedia.com that said that clown loaches are known to swim in and out of salt and fresh water in native indonesian tributaries and estuarties. To make this already long stor