Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Snacks for Otos

Posted By: peterinwa <peterinwa@attbi.com>
Date: Thursday, 10 April 2003, at 1:53 p.m.

In my beautiful Cardinal Tropical Jungle with Otos and SAEs Aquarium, the water is so clear and the tank is so algae-free that I got worried about a food supply for my Otos. (The SAEs eat the fish food.)

I discovered rocks work well. Rocks! (Drew oughta love that one... "dumb Otos" eating rocks.)

My QT isn't being used for QT much these days. Since nothing's dying and needing to be replaced in my regular tank (thanks to all your help!) I can move things back and forth.

For some reason while my QT with its low level lighting is basically algae-free, the rocks in it get covered with brown algae -- an Oto's favorite meal.

So each week when I do my water changes I switch a rock. It's fun to see them converge upon it for their weekly feeding... and you can see the pretty light green rock again in under an hour.

Ah. If I could only train all my fish to "eat" rocks. I could save so much on fish food!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index |